6 Hot Internet of Things (IoT) Security Technologies
- As a result, cybersecurity expert Bruce Schneier has called for government regulation of the IoT, concluding that both IoT manufacturers and their customers don’t care about the security of the 8.4 billion internet-connected devices in current use.
- In its recently-released TechRadar report for security and risk professionals, Forrester Research discusses the outlook for the 13 most relevant and important IoT security technologies, warning that “there is no single, magic security bullet that can easily fix all IoT security issues.”
- Forrester lists the following challenges to achieving a secure IoT: Many IoT devices lack basic security requirements; There is a plethora of IoT standards and protocols, which creates security blind spots; The scale and scope of IoT deployments hinder visibility into security incidents; There is a lack of clarity of responsibility regarding privacy and security.
- Indeed, Gartner placed security at the top of its list of top 10 IoT technologies for 2017 and 2018, saying “IoT security will be complicated by the fact that many ‘things’ use simple processors and operating systems that may not support sophisticated security approaches.”
- Forrester makes the following observations and recommendations: IoT security requires an end-to-end approach; Encryption is an absolute must; IoT security scenarios place a premium on scalability (dealing with the sheer number of devices); Security analytics will play a significant role in IoT security solutions; IoT standards are important catalysts but still need time to mature.
Based on Forrester’s analysis, here’s my list of the 6 hottest IoT security technologies.
@ValaAfshar: The Internet of Things Security
Quote of the Day
No matter how senior you get in an organization, no matter how well you’re perceived to be doing, your job is never done.